Bauman street, 8

of Bauman str., Gomel, Bauman str., 8

A 2-storey brick building with an «Г»-shaped plan.

The decorative finishing of the facades is simple and restrained. The main facade is divided into 2 tiers by a cornice. The first tier (ground floor) is more saturated with decor. The rhythm is set by alternating shallow risalites and is supported by a number of rectangular window openings with a shallow layout, as well as rectangular shallow niches in the piers. Profiled window sills are part of the cornice. Below them are shallow rectangular niches forming a portal. The high basement of the building is decorated in the form of two shallow steps.

The windows of the second floor are modestly decorated with narrow profiled window sills. A profiled cornice runs along the entire perimeter of the building.

Bauman Street began to form at the beginning of the XIX century . Its ancient name – Boyarskaya – is associated with the Boyarsky (now Biletsky) descent. Subsequently, the street became a place of residence for the wealthy strata of society. In 1919 it was renamed in honor of Yakov Sverdlov. In 1957, the street was named after the Russian revolutionary figure N.E. Bauman.

The building was built in 1917 . In the first half of the twentieth century, it may have been used as an administrative building, then since 1958, part of the building – the 2nd floor – as residential, part – as administrative. During the Great Patriotic War, the house was partially destroyed, and restored in the 1950s.

Currently, the building is used as an administrative building. The Gomel regional and City Councils of Veterans, as well as the Council of Veterans of the Central (Gomel) district are located here. 

image001.jpgBauman street, house №.6. Photo 2012.

image002.jpgBauman street, house №.6. Photo 2012.