The toponymic Commission
THE TOPONYMIC COMMISSION
APPROVED by the Decision of the Gomel city Executive Committee of February 11, 2015 No. 97
ABOUT THE CITY TOPONYMIC COMMISSION
1. The toponymic Commission of the Gomel city Executive Committee (hereinafter - the Toponymic Commission) coordinates the activities to create a common approach to the identification, normalization, assignment of geographic names, renaming them, using the names of geographical objects.
2. The toponymic Commission in its activity follows the Constitution of the Republic of Belarus, international treaties, legislation of the Republic of Belarus and this Provision.
3. The main objectives of the Toponymic Commission are:
coordination of the activities for preservation of names of geographical objects that are of historical and cultural heritage of the Republic of Belarus, the traditional names of settlements, as well as related to life and activity of outstanding people of Belarus;
consideration of issues related to the name, renaming the road network, stopping points in the city of Gomel;
preparation of proposals for the establishment of a standard spelling and pronunciation of all types of names urban sites in Russian and Belarusian languages, including for use in all types of house and street signs, record keeping, and for use in the media.
4. The toponymic Commission, in accordance with its tasks:
consider proposals related to the naming of geographical objects located on the territory of Gomel, renaming them, makes proposals, based on which of the Gomel city Council of deputies shall take appropriate action;
prepare informational materials on names of geographical objects;
interacts with the local Councils of deputies, regional toponymic Commission in the field of names of geographical objects;
within a month consider proposals on assigning names to geographical objects in the city of Gomel and renamed;
5. The toponymic Commission has the right:
to involve in the established order specialists from research institutions, higher and secondary educational establishments to tackle specific issues within the competence of the Toponymic Commission, as well as consultations and expertise concerning the names of geographical objects;
to create working groups for specific tasks from among the members of the Toponymic Commission;
to request and receive in the prescribed manner the information required for the implementation of activities on issues related to the competence of the Toponymic Commission;
to invite relevant experts and representatives of state administration bodies, local Executive and administrative bodies and Councils on questions in the field of names of geographical objects with the right of Advisory vote.
6. The composition of the Toponymic Commission approved by the decision of the Gomel city Executive Committee.
7. The meeting of the Toponymic Commission are held as needed.
8. The toponymic Commission has the power to make decisions in the presence at its meeting at least half of its members. Solution Toponymic Commission in the Protocol. The decision is considered adopted if voted for by a majority of those present at a meeting of the members of the Toponymic Commission.