The face of the current town centre was built in the second half of the XVIII century. The main architectural ensemble, forming spatial composition of the city center is Lenin square (the former Marketplace). From it, three rays of the street Soviet (former Rumyantsev, the main street of the city), Lenin prospect (the former castle) and the street proletarian (former field Marshal). Together with the street of Victory (ex. Post) Sovetskaya street and Lenin Avenue form a triangle, the corners of which are located Lenin square, railway station and the Uprising.
19 July 1940 issued a Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Belarusian Soviet socialist Republic "On education in urban areas in the mountains. Gomel". According to him, the Gomel was divided into three districts: the Central, Railway and Navabelitski. In 1948 they were eliminated, but three years later, on 27 June 1951, restored. In 1973 the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Republic of Belarus decreed the establishment in the city of Gomel Soviet district due to downsizing of the Railway, Navabelitski and Central regions.
The city Gomel is divided into 4 administrative districts:
- Central district is located in Central, Eastern and North-Eastern parts of Gomel. The main streets are Sovetskaya street (the Central street of the city), Lenina street Mazurova, International.
- The Soviet district located in the South-Western part of Gomel. Main street district —rechitskoe highway, street Barykina and the prospectus of October, street of Bohdan Khmelnytsky. (replace rechitskoe shosse Avenue Rechitsa).
- Railway area is located in the North-Western part of Gomel. Main street — the prospectus of Cosmonauts, streets of the Soviet, Krupskaya, Victory.
- Navabelitski district is located, in contrast to the rest of the city, on the left Bank of the Sozh river in the South-Eastern part of the city. Main street — Lenin street. In the XVIII — mid XIX century was a New town of Belitsa, district centre Belitskaya County.