Bauman street, 16

of Bauman str., Gomel, Bauman str., 16

The building is two-storeyed, L-shaped in plan. A one-story extension adjoins the left side of the main volume.
The main facade is richly decorated. The first floor is decorated with rusticated (rectangular and diamond), paneling, scalloped frieze, rosettes. Segmental arched window openings are decorated with stylized fanlocks made of curly panels. The second floor is decorated with pilasters, panels, frieze, diamond-shaped elements. Arched windows are crowned with profiled archivolts with keystones.

The first and second floors are separated by a profiled cornice.

The main facade is flanked by shallow risalites with entrance groups. They are distinguished by small porticos with balconies supported by pairs of Doric columns. The entrance groups of balconies on the second floor are decorated with wide segmental arched openings. They are flanked by pilaster panels with Corinthian capitals. Archivolts are flat, decorated with rosettes. The risalites are crowned by two Baroque attics with arched windows and triangular pediments. They are flanked by currencies. The sides of the window are framed by pilasters-panels.

At the beginning of the XIX century, active construction was carried out in the central part of Gomel, including in the area of Millionnaya (now Biletsky) and Boyarskaya (now Bauman) streets on the initiative of the owner of the Gomel estate Nikolai Petrovich Rumyantsev. Probably, building № 16 also appeared at this time, but how it looked and was used is unknown. There is information that in the 1830s it housed housing for officers. In the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the house was substantially rebuilt and could be used as a summer club for a public meeting. During the interwar period, the building housed the People 's Commissariat of Internal Affairs department of the Dnieper-Dvinsk River Shipping Company. During the Great Patriotic War, the house was damaged, in 1945 it was restored and given over to the premises of the «Dnepro-Dvinsky (since 1948 – Verkhnedneprovsky) department» of the Ministry of State Security.

In 1958, the building was transferred to the Prosecutor's Office of the Gomel region. In the late 1980s, for a short time it belonged to the Gomel department of the institute «Belkoopproekt». From 1992 until the beginning of the 2020s, it housed the Gomel Diocesan Administration.

image001.jpg  Bauman street, house 16. Gomel diocesan administration. Photo 2018.

image002.jpg  Bauman street, house 16. Gomel diocesan administration. Photo 2020.


Bauman street, house 16. Gomel diocesan administration. Photo 2020.