NIKOLAY AFANASIEVICH LEBEDEV
1924 – 2002
Full Cavalier of the Order of Glory
Nikolai AfanasevichLebedev - squad commander of the 176th separate reconnaissance company (137th rifle division, 48th army, 1st Belorussian front), foreman.
Was born on 16 May 1924 in the village of Atyaevka, now the Kromsky district of the Oryol region.
Sergeant Nikolai Afanasevich Lebedev received the first Order of Glory, 3rd degree, a shooter of a separate reconnaissance company on 13 August 1944 for penetrating into the rear of the enemy as part of a group of scouts 20-25 km north of the city of Baranovichi, bursting into an enemy trench and wounded , captured three enemy soldiers.
Two months later, on 24 October 1944, a group of scouts, together with Nikolai Lebedev, 50 kilometers north of Warsaw, under enemy fire, destroyed a machine-gun crew of the Nazis and captured several enemy soldiers. For this feat, Sergeant Nikolai Afanasyevich Lebedev was awarded the Order of Glory, 2nd degree.
At the end of January 1945, being the squad leader in the 176th separate reconnaissance company, Sergeant Major Nikolai Lebedev with a group of scouts, while performing a combat mission near the village of Kline-Rautenberg, killed two Germans, took four prisoners. The next day, the group ambushed and captured a German colonel, and also destroyed a staff vehicle with three German officers. By the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR, Nikolai Afanasyevich Lebedev was awarded the Order of Glory, 1st degree.
In total, from October 1943 to January 1945, Lebedev's group took 64 "tongues", while the group's commander, Nikolai Afanasyevich Lebedev, was wounded six times.
After the war, in 1950 he graduated from the Kursk Pedagogical Institute and was sent to the BSSR to work as a rural history teacher. He worked in the village of Terekhovka, Dobrush district, Gomel region, then for a long time was the director of secondary school No.44 in Gomel. In 1988 he was awarded the title of "Honorary Citizen of Gomel".
For his work he was awarded the title "Honored Teacher of the Belorussian SSR" and "Excellence in Education of the USSR", and in 1978 he was awarded the Order of Lenin. By the Decree of the President of the Republic of Belarus dated 15 April 1999, No.217, he was awarded the Order For Service to the Motherland, III degree.